Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Runaways

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning
Directed By: Floria Sigismondi
Circa: 2010

Now I know why I thought Kristen Stewart looked like she could be a dyke. It's this movie's fault.


Never heard of The Runaways. Never heard of Joan Jett. Am familiar with "I Love Rock and Roll" however. Was happy to find the song's history here.

Imagine Dakota Fanning imitating David Bowie, uttering cuss words, and getting embroiled in *ahem* suggestive scenes. Shocking, yes? Had to rewind to make sure the former child star wasn't really doing anything explicit.
This is about the life of an all-girl rock band breaking into the predominantly male world of violence, sex and drugs. Disturbing eye-opener of how these jail baits were desensitized and pushed into the lions' den.


Produced by the band's founder, Joan Jett, and based on lead singer Cherie Currie's book, Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway, the film explores the intimate relationship between the two women.


Being young and gullible, these girls had to literally claw their way to the top of a cruel, testosterone-driven environment. Only to break before they even began to sizzle.



A movie so powerful, it had me searching for the rest of The Runaways' history.

"This is not about women's lib. This is about women's libido." - Kim Fowley

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of Joan Jett or The Runaways? I grew up on them. As a matter of fact, I am pondering driving down to Destin, FL next weekend to catch her at the Destin Seafood Festival. She is AMAZING live. Also, that quote at the end is by Kim Fowley, not Fowler. Not that it is crucial but I am a Runaways purist so I had to say something. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks for the correction. I was born long after The Runaways have faded...and they never really reached this side of Asia. :)

    I am now currently reading up on Joan Jett because I have become fascinated by her. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete