Monday, September 27, 2010

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

"You know, lesbians are boyish and athletic. I mean Molly's pretty and all that but she's a better athlete than most of the boys that go to this school, and besides she doesn't act like a girl, you know? I'm not like that at all. I just love Molly. That doesn't make me queer." (p.84)

Rubyfruit Jungle is a lesbian coming-of-age novel, published by Rita Mae Brown in 1973. Can't relate to most of it, since the protagonist's story makes me look like I've lived a cloistered existence. The 70s sure was a crazy decade.

Can relate to the confusion and the need to experiment with the opposite gender (she was successful at it and concluded that boys are boring; I wasn't because my entire being recoils at the touch of a male specimen, which technically makes me a Gold Star even though I've had numerous boyfriends).

An absolutely good read, especially for those who are struggling not with their sexuality but with their place in society. Molly is a character who knows what she wants out of life and is willing to break her back to get it.

Just not too happy with the ending, though. The tale is parallel to the author's real life experiences and Rita Mae Brown seems to have emerged victorious. Wish Molly had gotten an epilogue similar to her creator's, too.

5 comments:

  1. I only know this book from Educating Rita, maybe I should read it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, David!
    Thanks for dropping by. It's a pretty good read, helps me imagine what it was like to live in her time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, where did you get a copy of Ruby Fruit Jungle? I've been dying to get a copy of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sharlyne!
    My sister's lesbian friend lent it to her, in the hopes of converting my sister into a lesbian. (LOL). It's a pretty old copy. You can get it from Amazon.com. Ah, you can click the linked Rubyfruit Jungle in the review and it'll take you directly to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharlyne,
    Or wait...you're based in the Philippines! I could ask around. I hang around bookstores a lot. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete