Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lost and Delirious

Starring: Piper Perabo, Jessica Paré, Mischa Barton, Jackie Burroughs, Mimi Kuzyk
Directed By: Léa Pool
Written By: Judith Thompson, Susan Swan
Circa: 2001

This's the second lesbian movie I've seen Piper Perabo in. The first I saw was Imagine Me & Youand that is newer. Never seen Mischa Barton this young either.

Thought Lost and Deliriousis about coming of age, but it's not. It's about a lesbian who knows who she is despite her tender age but couldn't quite fit in. Set in a boarding school where all the girls have family issues and lesbian lovers struggle to conform.

Female characters are intelligent and witty, but tragically destructive. Male characters are two-dimensionally dumb.

Great dramatic film. Predictable but realistic. Emotionally gut-wrenching. Full of symbolisms. Gives new angles to many Shakespearean masterpieces. You'd be able to relate if you've been to an exclusive girls' school and ended up marrying a dude just because you wanted so much to fit in the real world.

Painful angst of teenage lesbian love. Makes me (almost) thankful I discovered my inclination when I was already an adult.

"You think I'm a lesbian? Are you f*cking kidding me? I am Paulie in love with Tory! And she's in love with me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment